This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Insurances and Private Fees

Sometimes you may need the Doctor to complete something which is not covered by the NHS, which is considered a private request and so may incur a fee.

Requests which may fall under this category include but are not limited to the following: 

- 'To whom It May Concern' letters informing about your ill-health or condition for non-employment purposes

- Travel 'Fit to Fly' or holiday cancellation forms

- Insurance supporting letters (eg. Life Insurance)

- DVLA supporting letters and DLA applications

For more clarification on what constitutes a private request, the information on the British Medical Association website may be useful.

What do I need to do?

If you are the holder of the form, simply bring it to reception at the surgery for the attention of the Insurances Administrator. You'll be asked to complete a short form outlining exactly what you require from the Doctor, and to confirm that you're aware of the cost that may be incurred.

If the insurance company or an outside body has the relevant forms, they'll usually send them to us directly to be completed. In this instance, you'll need to make sure you've signed the relevant documents to give us consent to give the company your information.

You are perfectly allowed to view any reports which are written about you before they are sent to the company if you so wish. You must log this request with either the company or us at reception, and you'll have 21 days from the completion of the report with which to view it.

What fees will I have to pay?

The fees vary depending on the type of document you need completing. If you come into the surgery there will be a payment leaflet available for you, and you are also able to speak to our Finance Manager who will confirm the fee needed to be paid.

If you are handing in forms over the counter, you as the patient are responsible for paying for it, ven if you have no further need for it upon completion.

An insurance company, if they send the documents to us, may forfeit any charges themselves. Regardless however, the invoice for the work will be passed on to them and they are perfectly entitled to claim this cost back from you.

If you want more information on how much an insurance form or letter may cost, please feel free to contact us and ask to speak to the Insurances Administrator.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website